Monday, March 30, 2009

Experience #32: Not a basic dietary item, such as flour, rice, or corn.


All of the Swingline series staples are twin-packed and contain 5,000 staples per pack; that's 10,000 staples. I began to calculate: there are 52 weeks in a year and if I used 10 staples per week (2 per work day) that would amount to 520 staples annually. One carton of 5,000 would cover me for the next ten years. I concluded this Swingline twin-pack of 10,000 total staples would last two decades, maybe longer than I'll live and I would have to consider how to fairly distribute them among my heirs or I could be generous with their distribution right now. Designate the staple the coin of my realm and give a staple to any one in need or begin to leave them as tips to waiters, waitresses, doormen, taxi drivers, bell hops, barbers and Korean massage parlor employees.


(excerpted from a blog originally published in 2007 titled, "....sex, pies and CDRs")

No comments: